Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Creative Thinkers

The Creative Thinkers

There may not be that moment for you, but there comes a time every so often in my life that pivots my entire universe as I know it and changes everything. It’s like some great deity is taking a hold of my shoulders and spinning me round, showing me that straight is not the only way to look toward. And what I’m shown? Takes my breath away.

My love for books, film and music do not only come from what I was raised with, but come from a network of spirits that reminds me that I am connected to other creative thinkers of the world. There’s been a book, a movie, a song that has come along now and again in my life that has grabbed me by the shoulders, and has spun me round. Every time it does, it reminds me that I could attain the power to do the very same thing. I could write a story, too, that could grab someone else’s soul and change it profoundly. I struggle with the confidence part of the deal, but when other storytellers tell their tales it is with their imagination and cleverness that propels my creative wheels to follow. Great minds think alike, they say. I’ve heard my own voice and have seen my own thoughts come alive in other pioneering artists’ visions, and there’s no reason why I can't summon my ego to join the trail blaze.

This is an ode to the artists of the world. If they had stayed in their heads, they wouldn’t have led me into new horizons. If they had not committed to their stories, they wouldn’t have turned on the gears in my soul. If they had not given their gifts to the world, I would not be inspired to do the same. This is to all the creative thinkers of the world who said no to doubt, and who said yes to possibility. This is to all of my fellows who took up the responsibility of the gifts they were given, and gave back. This is to all who have led me down the very same path. Thank you for taking my breath away.

No comments: