Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Secrets to Understanding Women....Phase 1: dating

I've debated about this with myself for years, now. I've always wanted to write a sort of "handbook" for men. But when you think of all the variables it's hard to go down one, specific path with it. Every human being is too individual to throw into catagories, or stereotype. Because, hey: not all women have shoe fetishes, and not all men are good with a wrench. Right? And we're all attracted to different types, and we all have our own way of playing the dating game, and we all have different reasons for being in a relationship. And? When it really comes down to the real deal? Love? There's no guidelines for love. It's the most impractical, illogical force of all... But, dating? On a shallow level? A simple level?

Let's throw all those variables out the window, entirely. I've been itching to let out a few clues, tips, and basic rules to follow for a man in pursuit of a woman. Now there's different stages, of course. I want to start with my "favorite" (which conveinently comes first in the sequence already), which is: asking the woman, out.

Dating, it's called.
Now,I'm going to share a secret. Consequently, this secret is going to turn me into the biggest hypocrite (a good kick off!), but I think it's only fair.
I don't date.
I hate dating.
I hate the ritual of a man I hardly know forking out money to pay for my dinner, or for my drinks, or my cheesy bowling games. It makes me feel obligated to a complete stranger. Awkward! And flowers? No thanks. Nice gesture, but I believe that romance like that should come later. Buying me flowers when I hardly know you makes me feel like you're trying to buy my affection. I'm either going to be attracted to you or I'm not, flowers aren't going to change that.
I'm terrible, aren't I?
Yeeeah...
I don't think I am. I'm real.
But here's where the hyprocritical part of it comes in:
I'm about to share some "tips", and "rules" and what not about dating a woman properly. I'm going to pretend that I'm a woman who actually likes dating, and I'm going to let you in on a few of our secrets. (I can already feel the controversy rising....)

Our signals:

Subconsciously, women will hold themselves in as feminine of a light as possible when first meeting a man they're actually attracted to. If her voice seems up an octive, your chances are good. If her posture is ladylike, and she's moving about like she wants you to know how flexible she is, your chances are even better. If she holds your gaze for a while, and smiles seductively. You're totally in.
But these are easy. The harder ones are telling when she's NOT into you. Pay attention to these, now.
1) If she's talking to you like an old buddy from elementary school, she's not interested. Just because she's laughing at your jokes doesn't mean she wants to sleep with you. If her giggles are sort of shrill, and she touches you when you make a joke, then you're totally in. But if she laughs, and doesn't want to make eye contact, she's trying not to lead you on.
2) Nine out of ten times a woman who says "no" (to anything), MEANS "no". She's not playing hard to get. Get over it, respect her "no", and for the love of nancy, MOVE ON.
3) If she doesn't call you, she's not interested. Period. She didn't loose your number. She's not too busy. She doesn't like you in that way, and doesn't want to lead you on.
4) "Just friends" means: "In no shape or form am I ever going to be sexually attracted to you." "Just friends for now" means: "I like to take it real slow, and I'm unsure of you right now, so I want to wait it out..."

Those are the basics.

You want to know how to turn a woman off? These are good...heh heh...Check it out:
*Stare at her breasts and grin stupidly.
No, it's not a compliment. A glance, is a compliment. Staring and grinning makes you look like a man with absolutely no self control, which, in turn, makes you look no more evolved than an ape.
*Talking in a weird, trying-to-be-sexy voice. Dude. You're either sexy or you're not. The voice is just lame and weird. Very, very few men can pull off the sexy voice, and the ones who can have a natural talent that they themselves are probably not even aware of.
*Don't buy a drink for a woman without asking first. Don't be that guy. Don't ask the bartender to send a drink "to the blonde by the pool table", and then wink at her when the waitress points you out. Double, trible, quadtruple rude. Why? Because for one, you don't even know if she has a boyfriend. Two, you have no idea what kind of drink she likes or even if she WANTS another one. Three? It looks like you're buying her off. You're putting her into a position where she's now going to feel rude if she doesn't come talk to you whether she's attracted to you or not. There's nothing worse than "tricking" a woman into talking to you. This happened to me once, and I was a little bit of a snot about it. I saluted the guy (who was...whoa. super hot...)in a sort of sassy way, drank my free drink, and never went over to talk to him. Mean bitch? No way.
Now. If she's been sending you signals all night? Okay. Sure. But you should still ask her, no matter what. ASK HER.
*And for the love of pete: just because you own a house, have a nicely manicured lawn, work in an upscale office, drive a nice car, and really, really like to talk about yourself, does not in any shape or form automatically make you a good catch. Having a hobby or two, a passion, a joke to tell, something of the sort is going to make your night all the better. That is, of course, if she's a normal, unshallow, good woman. (Again with those variables! Crap.)

Ugh. Writing this is making all those variables spring up, and is making me second guess everything I'm writing. I certainly can't speak for all women, only myself and the ones who are like me. There are plenty of women who would love to have a mystery man buy them a drink from across the way. There are plenty of women who totally dig guys with deep pockets and nice offices...

So. I suppose this is simply a list, an essay, a rant on things that I wish I could say to every man who's ever tried to hit on me and has only pissed me off doing so. If there are any women out there who agree to any of this, I sure would like a show of hands. There's so much more I still want to carry on about, but I think I ought to end it here before my foot gets lodged completely into my mouth.

8 comments:

Brandon said...

Ok, from my perspective, isn't most of this just common sense? Or am I crazy?

Ryan said...

I know a guy here at the gym...we have conversed over the years over many things. In his experience(and he has probably to much), when he is a dick to a girl, she wants him more, and follows him around like a puppy. When he is nice and listens and respects the girl, he is walked all over. He apparently has tested his theory, and has come to the conclusion that being a dick is the way to go. Attraction has something to do with it though...he is in great shape. Also it could be the environment he is in or...maybe he is just way better at being a dick and even when he thinks he is nice...he is still a dick lol.

I guess that is how I met my girl...I smacked her around and said "hey...lets go to the mall and you can buy me stuff". And now we are together. Ain't love grand?

lol really though I agree with you on the fact that there are too many factors that play into it. Some people want a polygamist relationship, I don't get it...but hey whatever. And how a women can endure an Islamic marrage is beyond me, but it is the fastest growing religion in the world so...it must be what they want. Then there are the girls that don't care overly if the guy cheats on them as long as he comes home to them, what the hell is that lol? Abusive relationships also...to each thier own I guess.

I don't think it is common sense simply because of the diversity out there...the sense is not common at all.

And really you could go over the list and use it as a guidline for freind making too...except maybe the chest staring part..I don't think a man would find that as a complement.. ..well...actually I know some body builders here that would take it as a compliment so even that one fits. Good work.

Anonymous said...

Jessica replied:

Brandon...
It's common sense for men like you because you're, well, normal and nice and got it together. But all other men? They don't have a freaking clue....TRUST ME.

And umm, Ryan... this guy who thinks that being a dick is the way to go? Freaking hilarious. He's either so full of himself and so incredibly insecure, that he's making all of this up. Or, he's one of those guys who thinks he's a nice guy, but really he's a douchebag and hasn't figured that out about himself yet because he's too busy thinking about what's in it for him. He sounds like he's "that guy", you know like I said, the one who sends a drink to a girl before asking if he should? Probably thinks he's doing the lass a great favor, a great deed, spending money on her, but when she rejects him because she really knows he's being an ass? Well, then, he isn't getting what he wants when he's "nice." GOD! There are an unbelievable amount of men out there like that. The whole "nice guys finish last" whine that I'm always hearing.... LAME. Did it ever occur to them to take some responsibility for women not being attracted to them? Or? Maybe a woman just isn't attracted.... it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with him! There's PLENTY of men NOT attracted to me, but you don't hear ME whine about it. I don't need my self esteem determined by whether or not a man is attracted to me...

Okay. Whoosh! Sorry. Had to vent. Your friend there. Sounds like a swell guy!

Thanks for the feedback!

Ryan said...

lol he is totally insecure AND full of himself, if you can imagine that. Usually the girls grab on him from what I have heard from mutual friends, as I said attraction is definatley a factor. If he was george castanza it would not happen to him.

I think when he is a dick the girls probably mistake it as confidence at first, which is why he gets a lot of tail...but not to many long term relationships, sad really.

Whether he realizes this or cares im not really sure...he isn't stupid ..he arguably is the best at jiu jitsu at the gym...he certainly isn't a bad person...but he is full of himself, at least...towards most people he is.

Either way he has some interesting takes on the subject...mostly salty takes.

Brandon said...

I have learned the biggest factor is self-confidence (also my biggest problem), if you think you're not good enough, neither will she...the guy has to approach confidently (but respectfully and nicely), expecting a yes, but able to accept a no

just my $.02 for what it's worth :)

Ryan said...

Expecting a yes...but able to accept a no. I like that.

jcdawn said...

Those are some good 2 cents, and I love it.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever even dated anyone? Has anyone even liked you? Your the sexist pig! Get a grip chic!